3.21.2011

inspired by... beatrix potter

We've been reading quite a bit of Beatrix Potter and I have to admit that until recently my understanding of her work was shaped mostly by nursery fabrics. The pastel pinks and blues of nursery fabrics are not to be found in the pages of her books (and I've only been looking at Peter Rabbit). Potter's use of color is warm and sophisticated. 

Mrs. Rabbit  in the soft green of the woods with her warm red cape and colorful stripe skirt. I can imagine these colors in for a moody library or reading room.
l love the the warm begian brown  and white with pops of seashell pink, blackberry and leafy green. These colors remind me of Tom Scheerer's interiors. 

And one of my favorites, Mr. Mcgregor's shed with it's bleached greys, pale terracottas, rich green and with a whisper of blue. Perfect for a sophisticated sitting room.
Not surprisingly, the illustrations remind me of some of the Farrow & Ball palette. The greens in particular are amazing: Verte de Terre (my favorite), Folly Green, Churlish Green paired with pops of color: Lulworth Blue, Pink Ground, and Blazer Red...
 
 
You can continue the inspiration and see more of Beatrix Potter's watercolors here.

No comments:

Post a Comment