3.17.2011

the details: bows

One of the best parts of having two girls is the opportunity to get out all of my own girly energy. When S and I were first married I suggested a pink bedroom and he balked. A few weeks ago when I gently suggested it again he said I might have to wait until I'm a widow.

Bows are one of those girly things for which I have a soft spot. While they are unlikely to make it into my bedroom anytime soon, I am hoping to incorporate one or two bow touches in Bea's bedroom.

I find myself particularly drawn
to carved bows, be they painted or gilt.

Check out the painted bows on the bed and chair. Isn't this room so pretty?


This intricately carved gilt wood Italian mirror went for a mere $300 on auction. How I wish I had bid on it!

Or this little number, which also went for $300. I was at this auction and am now kicking myself for not having bid on it. But I did make it home with something else is just as fabulous for Bea's bedroom (more on that later).



I also love the idea of using taffeta silk bows for hanging picture frames. Designer Ryan Korban did so in his own apartment.

via The Selby

And this Swedish interior features a pair of portraits hung with the same treatment. I really like the use of a dark or neutral ribbon to offset the girly-ness of the bow itself.


This pretty brass picture frame was recently up for auction on eBay.


I think a small gilt mirror with a carved ribbon or a small, simple mirror hung from a taffeta bow would be right at home over the chest of drawers in Bea's room.

No comments:

Post a Comment